[Baypiggies] Frequently Argued Objections

Shannon -jj Behrens jjinux at gmail.com
Sun Jun 22 04:09:23 CEST 2008

On Sat, Jun 21, 2008 at 10:37 AM, Sean Perry <shaleh at speakeasy.net> wrote:
> *) none of my coworkers know Python. This hasn't changed since 1.5.2 came
> out. I am competent in Perl simply because every place I go that is the
> fallback language.

I hate when people don't grow.  That says something about their
quality as engineers :(

> *) the inconsistent standard library. Is it a function? A class? A method?

Agreed!

> *) now the annoying one. Management doesn't let me hack in Python because of
> the first item above *AND* the fact that it is a scripting language. Not
> being able to hide the source means I can only put Python in back-end server
> code where end users will never see it. This has never bothered me (I did
> mention my Linux heritage...) but it means Python only gets used for utility
> scripts by the engineers.

Have you considered distributing just the .pyc's?  I though Jython
also had an option to compile down to a .java file, which you could
compile if you're using the JVM.

Happy Hacking!
-jj

--
It's a walled garden, but the flowers sure are lovely!
http://jjinux.blogspot.com/