[Baypiggies] Frequently Argued Objections

Shannon -jj Behrens jjinux at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 14:12:18 CEST 2008

Wait a second, how did we get this far without the normal objections?

* Python isn't stackless.

Ok, I'll just shut up ;)

* Python doesn't have tail call optimization.

I think the thinking is that for loops are more readable than using
recursion all over the place.

* Python doesn't have a match statement like ML.

This is probably because there's no obvious way to make the syntax work.

* Python differentiates expressions and statements.

This is because Guido thinks that if you allow all statements to be
expressions, you get weird situations like defining a 100 line
function as a parameter in the middle of calling another function.
Looking at modern JavaScript, I would agree with him.  However,
because of this, you can't write:

a = if b:
           f()
       else:
           g()
print a

I know it's sometimes frustrating, but I think Guido was right to err
on the side of readability.

* No one has brought up the lack of private variables either.

Python doesn't assume that you're an untrustable moron ;)

* Python is a half- at ss Lisp with too few parenthesis.

Actually, Python takes many of the good parts of Lisp, and makes them
more readable ;)

Happy Hacking!
-jj