[Baypiggies] Fwd: hold a meeting at YouTube in San Bruno?

Alex Martelli aleax at google.com
Mon Jun 30 08:22:14 CEST 2008

On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 10:29 PM, Matt Good <matt at matt-good.net> wrote:
> I can ask around.  I don't know of any Python projects based in the SF
> office, so I don't know what the interest level is there.  I also don't know

Google App Engine moved there recently -- so Guido now works there, so
does Brett Slatkin, &c.  Whether they'd be interested to go through
the hassle of hosting, I dunno. Mail me privately and I'll happily
give you emails of other Python-friendly googlers who work there
(e.g., one guy that's a Python readability reviewer) even though they
may be working more in C++ and/or Java at this time.  Whether any of
them is interested in taking up the chore of hosting baypiggies, I
can't tell, but we can sure try.

> much about the space there and whether they'd be equipped to handle our
> group meeting there after-hours.

I don't have a good grasp of that -- I've been there a few times for
meetings &c but I don't know if security is routinely around after
hours as in MTV, etc etc. Just in case it requires extra funding to
have security stick around on a given night, you may want to CC Chris
and Leslie who are those who DO have funding for opensource support
(though I have no idea how much $$ that would take, if committing that
is within their mission, &c, I'm sure THEY do;-).

> Regarding San Bruno there seems to be enough positive feedback and I like
> JJ's suggestion of trying it there for one meeting (which is really all I
> was originally proposing).  If it seems successful we can talk about adding
> it to a rotation of meeting places.  I've made a note to check on getting
> clear instructions for the parking situation (not having a car anymore I
> forget about these things :)

If you're willing to volunteer for hosting (and having security around
in the evening is not something needing extra funding) we should
definitely give it a try.  While coming up to S.Bruno is obviously
more of a hassle for me than sticking around in MTV, I'd be prepared
to do that to widen the reach of BayPiggies.

I'd also be delighted to stretch to SF, East Bay, AND North Bay
occasionally, but I haven't heard anybody volunteering hosting for
those locations yet, and it really needs volunteers (able to commit
space &c) to make it happen.  Hey, once in a blue moon, I'd be up for
Santa Rosa or Sevastopol too (I guess that's about the limit of my
geographical reach;-) if O'Reilly (or Pastis if he's into Python --
boy do I ever LOVE Pearls before Swines!-) can commit volunteers and
space to host us...;-)

Alex