[Baypiggies] Job Posting: VMware is looking for a Python Tools Guru to Work on Our Build Infrastructure

Scott Bradley sbradley at vmware.com
Fri Mar 7 00:44:45 CET 2008

Hello, BayPIGgies!

How are you? My name is Scott Bradley, and I'm with VMware in Palo Alto!

Although I'm sure you've heard of us, I'll still give a brief synopsis of our
company: VMware is virtualization software that allows you to run multiple
operating systems at the same time. We are the global leader in virtual
infrastructure software for industry-standard systems, and the
fastest-growing software product company in the Silicon Valley.

When you grow at a very rapid pace like we are, you are always looking for
the best and most elegant process to improve the ever-expanding build
systems, and always looking for forward-thinking Engineers who can take us
there!

A little about our environment and team:

Our Build environment has been eagerly moving towards being fully driven by
Python and SCons (we are big on Open Source software). We are moving away
from Perl for Python and SCons from Make. As of now, we have two full product
lines converted to Python. However, there's much more work to be done! Here's
a little information about what we look like from the inside.

Our Build environment currently has 300 build machines "and growing", and we
work with 2500 users, 28,000 clients, on 1000 branches on virtually all of
the VMware products. There are currently 24 people on the Build Team (12
Build Release, 12 Build Infrastructure). There are 700 Gig under source
control (5 million files); we are using 11 separate Perforce installations in
CM, 15 proxy servers, 12 physical servers, 6 Virtual Machines for automation
and monitoring, with over 2 Terabytes of physical RAM to give you idea of the
size, scope and scale of our environment. I hope this information piques your
interest!

We are looking for a Build Infrastructure Engineer (a build developer) who
can think independently and work closely with our Build Release team and our
Senior Development Engineers, and play a critical role in improving build
infrastructures to improve productivity for both development and build
engineering. You will engage new tools into our environment by proposal,
design and implementation, and you must be able to work independently and
have strong leadership skills. You would have your fingers on the pulse of
how we do the work here, as you would be actively involved with product and
design meetings.

The Job Description is pasted below my contact information, so you can take a
look.

People with previous experiences building Linux distributions (Red Hat,
Fedora, Debian, SuSE, Ubuntu, Slackware, etc.) or open source software
experience are VERY welcome here! We look for people who aren't satisfied
with just turning a crank, but who take ownership of what they work on,
creating new ways to do tasks, automating and troubleshooting, to
independently improve the overall build systems.

There are several challenging projects that would require an independent
thinker and worker to tackle. Many of these really require a "Tools Guru",
someone who can write tools in Python that can optimize functionality, and
imaginatively devise new uses for the language to optimize the environment.
Certainly, there are quite a few large-scale projects that would keep you
working closely with our Build Team and Development Engineers.

 One of the projects that we have is the compiling all of the 3rd party tools
used in Build and Development into Linux and Windows usability and converting
them to be backwards compatible for all of the Vmware products. This includes
management, maintenance and development of the tools to be readily available
for all products in both platforms moving forward. Your proposals and design
of projects and solutions will directly affect how we grow as a team, how our
products grow, and ultimately how we grow as a company.

Most importantly, if you were interested, you would have a great opportunity
to make a significant impact in the virtualization industry, which is still
in its early stages and fast emerging! That's one thing we can offer that
nobody else can, as we are the industry leaders in this uncharted territory.
I know someone with your career level has had great experiences like this
before. If you yearn to make a real impact, that is the kind of opportunity
we offer!

Of course, we are looking for you! I'd love to speak with you more about what
interests you! You can contact me directly at (650) 427-1247, or toll-free at
1-877-486-9273.

Interested parties can send their resumes directly to me: sbradley at vmware.com
<blocked::BLOCKED::BLOCKED::mailto:sbradley at vmware.com>  . You can also send
questions to me as well!

I hope to hear from you!

Many thanks!

Scott Bradley

VMware

650-427-1247

Toll Free: 1-877-486-9273

3401 Hillview Ave.

Palo Alto, CA 94304

www.vmware.com <http://www.vmware.com/>

Feel free to connect with me on LinkedIn

http://www.linkedin.com/in/scottbradleyvmware
<http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidsamuelson>

VMWare is Looking for Great Build Infrastructure Engineers!

VMware, the industry leader in high-performance, enterprise-class x86
virtualization technology, is looking for an organized and detail-oriented
Build Infrastructure Engineer to play a critical role in improving build
infrastructures to improve productivity for both development and build
engineering.

As the Build Infrastructure Engineer, you will get the opportunity to work
closely with build release team and senior development engineers in products
and design meetings in large scale projects. The Build Infrastructure
Engineer will engage new tools into our environment by proposal, design and
implementation, and must be independent and have strong leadership skills.

Job Requirements:

*	3-5+ years of experience in software development roles on Windows
and/or Linux platforms.
*	Must know Python and shell or Perl scripting.
*	Must know Perforce (preferred), CVS, Subversion or Clearcase.
*	Must have expertise in C/C++
*	Must have Automated Build experience.
*	Must have in-depth understanding of makefiles. Experiences with SCons
strongly desirable.
*	Desired: experience with cross-platform build environments, such as
Linux, Windows, Solaris.

*	Understand symbol resolution issues, including both dynamic linking
and static linking.
*	Experience working with scripting subsystems in excess of 1,000 lines
of code.
*	Extremely knowledgeable in the entire development build toolchain,
including compilers, linkers, debuggers. Experiences building cross-compilers
is desirable.
*	Experience building GNU autoconf/automake based open-source software
on Unix platforms is desirable.

Interested parties can send resumes to:

Scott Bradley

sbradley at vmware.com

Scott Bradley

VMware

650-427-1247

Toll Free: 1-877-486-9273

3401 Hillview Ave.

Palo Alto, CA 94304

www.vmware.com <http://www.vmware.com/>

Feel free to connect with me on LinkedIn

http://www.linkedin.com/in/scottbradleyvmware

VMware (NYSE:VMW) is transforming computing through virtualization. We are
the global leader in virtual infrastructure software for industry-standard
systems. Millions of people and thousands of organizations around the
world-including all of the Fortune 100-use VMware virtualization solutions to
drastically reduce IT costs while increasing the efficiency, utilization and
flexibility of their existing computer hardware. VMware has an open,
innovative, technology-driven culture. With revenue growth of 100% or more
for the last three years and our recent successful IPO, the future looks
bright at VMware. Nick Sturiale of venture firm Sevin Rosen called
virtualization "the biggest wave in IT right now". VMware is headquartered in
Palo Alto, CA, and has more than 4,000 employees working in over 40 offices
around the world.

<http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidsamuelson>