[Baypiggies] Using Google translate web page programmaticaly

Kelly Yancey kelly at nttmcl.com
Mon Mar 24 08:01:43 CET 2008

Shannon -jj Behrens wrote:
> I saw a talk at Google Developer Day by a researcher working on their
> translation team.  Take a Google-sized amount of data, add statical
> translation techniques and a bunch of Ph.D's and get almost halfway
> decent translations :)
>
> -jj

Sorry to beleaguer the point, but here is the translated version of your
message (English->Japanese->English):

	Google Talk developers saw day by researchers working on their
	Translation Team. Google's size is the amount of data to take
	additional statical
	Many translation techniques and Ph.D 's and almost halfway to
	Get Translations decent

And no, the Japanese* intermediate text didn't make any more sense
without knowing what the original text was trying to say.  And it lost
the "voice" of your message.

Machine translation sounds like a great idea, but it currently doesn't
appear to be much better than when I used to laugh at the crud
Babblefish was spitting out ten years ago.

Seriously, I would think that no translation would be better than a
nonsensical translation.  Of course, my original suggestion stands: if
you absolutely need a translation, hire a pro.
Human translation > no translation > machine-generated translation.

Kelly

* I picked Japanese since that was the original poster's request.
   Certainly machine translation between Indo-European languages would
   fare better.