[Baypiggies] BALUG Dinner: WiFi Mesh Networking (Tuesday)

Andrew Fife afife at untangle.com
Thu May 15 08:03:39 CEST 2008

Howdy Folks:

Balug on Tuesday will host a new speaker, Thomas Belote.

Tom will be talking about wireless mesh networking.  As a grad student at
San Jose State, Thomas has worked on Wireless Mesh Networking and Mobile
Ad Hoc Networking. His talk will compare solutions like OLSR and
Microsoft's semi open source Mesh Connectivity Layer (that doesn't run on
Linux). He will discuss why WDS is not sufficient and a mesh protocol is
needed, and discuss the lack of openness thus far in 802.11s even though
it is included in the OLPC, as well as security issues and implications.

If you'd like to come, please RSVP:

  RSVP at balug.org

Meeting Details...

  6:30pm
  April 20th, 2008 (Tuesday)

  Four Seas Restaurant
  731 Grant Ave.
  San Francisco, CA 94108
  Easy $5 Parking:  http://www.portsmouthsquaregarage.com/

Cost = $13 for dinner, but the meeting itself is free

Upcoming 2008 speakers include:

  June - Andrew Morton (Linux Kernel)
  July - Mike Linksyaver (Creative Commons)
  Aug  - TBD
  Sept - Ian Murdock (Debian & Sun)

Signup for BALUG's extremely low volume announce list:

About BALUG:
If you feel this is not appropriate for a particular list, please tell us
which list and what you feel would be a more appropriate policy for that
list.  Please send feedback to balug-contact at balug.org.

--
Andrew Fife
Untangle - The Open Source Network Gateway

650.425.3327 desk
415.806.6028 cell