[Baypiggies] newbie nugget

jim jim at well.com
Sat Nov 8 20:47:05 CET 2008

   my preference is for discussion among bayPIGgies
members to settle on topics for meetings. after some
sense of concensus, a few of us can scramble to set
things up.
   currently we have "doctest integration" as the
newbie nugget for november's meeting.

---------------------
   here's a list of suggestions we've gathered so far:

* Starting with pygame!
* using datetime
* using decimal
* using pytz
* file handling basics
* string formatting/templating

* Function decorators.
* List comprehensions.
* Generators and generator expressions.
* Function pointers and map.
* Using "else" with "for", "while", and "except".
* Using StringIO.
* Using IPython (and installing it with an egg).
* Using "try/finally" with file handles vs. using the "with" statement.
* Using lambda.

* Using IPython (and installing it with an egg)
* Using "try/finally" with file handles vs. using the "with" statement

* functional programming stuff like lambdas and higher order functions

* the new "nonlocal" declaration from PEP 3104

* the difference between nonlocal and global

* working through scoping and immutables
* an introduction to Nose
* "Python Code Unravelled": looking at Decorators, Method Dispatch, List
Comprehensions, and such as shorthands for longer Python code
---------------------

   here and there people have proposed topics for
a newbie nugget and then "taken it back" because
they want to develop it as a full-blown featured
talk.
   one form of a helpful response would be along
the lines of "i wanna do <NEWBIE_NUGGET_TOPIC>
for december!"
   another helpful response would reflect your
enthusiasm (any valid integer could be accepted,
to be factored by the numbers of persons voting:
your +65537 for a topic might carry more weight
than someone's +3, but maybe not much more, and
lots of +1 votes for a topic would certainly weigh
more than one person's large integer).