[Baypiggies] Free Python course for beginners

Glen Jarvis glen at glenjarvis.com
Tue Aug 11 19:21:45 CEST 2009

There are some *great*  Python courses out there already. I only bring
this up because I've seen a stronger interest suddenly.

About six months ago, I was trying to drum up interest in a course in
either Python, Django, or Subversion. I *love* teaching and it forces
me to actually learn *more* than I would by reading/researching alone.

The ideal audience for this course are web designers who have little
to no programming background (to match the other audience). That is,
you can do HTML pretty well, but don't know how to code a python
method. However, any very introductory programmer would be welcome too.

I bring this up because one of the potential students is really
needing the Python course and has just asked me if we can go through
with this. We are considering Wed nights, once per week, through the
semester. It's free, except for the time that needs put into it. Real
homework assignments would be given and *are* expected to be completed.

The ideal class will be between 5 and 20 students. We currently have
2. If you are interested, please contact me off-list.

Please note, however, that you may be bored in this class. We're going
slow and carefully through the materials in a learning mode. You may
need a higher level course. And, there are some other instructors here
on BayPIGgies that are really good and can help you.

So, with that disclaimer -- introductory only and there *will* be
homework -- please let me know your interest :) We hope to start in
approximately two weeks.

Cheers,

Glen