[Baypiggies] Python Training Course update

Glen Jarvis glen at glenjarvis.com
Tue Aug 18 09:19:27 CEST 2009

I've had a reasonable amount of interest in the Free Python Course. My
biggest struggle is that practically everyone interested is in the
South Bay and I don't know of any suitable space that I can use for
free in the area. If anyone knows of a space, it's a community effort
and open to everyone (and we spread more Python knowledge :)

I surveyed the potential participants and received 15 responses. One
of my questions was:

Did you know that at least four other BayPIGgie members teach Python
courses: Wesley Chun, Jim Stockford, Marilyn Davis and Elaine Haight?

Two thirds (66.7%) did not. So, this is definitely an area that we can
help our other instructors in -- getting the word out. I didn't
remember that Jim was teaching a course (I heard that from Tony). And,
I haven't ever directly communicated with Marilyn or Elaine -- but I
do see good posts here. I'd like to improve on my networking/
relationships in this area.

Of the last 1/3 of those interested who knew of other courses, they
were interested in what I proposed because it was free. (That and I
promised a similar course in Django down the road). And one person
commented that the Foothill college course was cancelled so they were
looking for a way to still learn.

So, it seems that our community is interested in learning. I'm doing
my best to step up to the plate. However, with almost everyone in the
South Bay (and less interested in commuting to SF), this is becoming
more difficult logistically. I'm trying three alternatives as a
"creative solution": 1) Exploring the sfCube.com space by CalTrain
(with possibly setting up a distance learning environment), 2)
Evaluating if 2nd Life will work as a distance learning environment,
and 3) Waiting for some magic location to suddenly appear in the South
Bay.

In a perfect world, we can do 1 and 2 together and make videos from it
to share. However, this has been a *lot* of work and will be much more.

So, we are currently delayed two more weeks. We will see what evolves
by then. With the subversion course that I'm teaching next week at
work, and with preparing for the potential BART strike this weekend,
my plate is now full again. This two week delay is the best I can do
until a better solution is found.

There is interest in this and it's something I think our community can
do more of. Plus, learning and teaching is just fun :) So, I hope we
can find a way of making this work. Any feedback, questions or
concerns are always welcome.

Warmest Regards,

Glen Jarvis