[Baypiggies] off topic: JavaScript: DOM vs. innerHTML, Server-driven vs. Client-driven

Keith Dart keith at dartworks.biz
Fri Aug 21 22:53:16 CEST 2009

=== On Thu, 08/20, Alex Martelli wrote: ===
> Everybody dreams of Scalability... the dream problem to have: millions
> are hitting your website, how are you going to cope?
===

I agree 100%. In fact I have been designing a javascript/Python based
framework for a while now (little extra time, so slow going).

There is some code here, if you are interested:

Most Python parts here:

http://code.google.com/p/pycopia/source/browse/#svn/trunk/WWW/pycopia/WWW

Some of the JS parts:

http://code.google.com/p/pycopia/source/browse/trunk/WWW/media/js/

There's more I haven't "published" yet.

But the basic idea is use JS/DOM/Mochikit in the browser, and use
lightweight Python backend with JSON serialization. What is defined in
these modules is a Python proxy that transparently transfers data and
objects between Javascript and Python. With it you can, in the browser,
call a JS function using JS native types and it ends up calling a
Python function with Python native types. The return value is also
transparently converted.

-- Keith Dart

--
Keith Dart