[Baypiggies] off topic: JavaScript: DOM vs. innerHTML, Server-driven vs. Client-driven

Jon Rosebaugh jon at inklesspen.com
Wed Aug 26 01:23:01 CEST 2009

On Aug 25, 2009, at 4:14 PM, Aahz wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 20, 2009, Alex Martelli wrote:
>>
>> Well if all of your processing was in Javascript on the user's
>> browser, scalability would be automatic, wouldn't it? A million hits
>> give you a million PCs in which (through the browser) your web app is
>> running; two million hits, you get 2 million PCs; and so forth. Poof
>> -- scalability's a given now.
>>
>> You can't get 100%, but clearly the closer you get the better off you
>> are. So, anything that CAN sensibly be done in JS in users' browsers,
>> SHOULD be done there! The less you have to keep running on your
>> server, the better.
>
> Thank you for locking me out of your application.
>
> Signed, still using Lynx

Not really a problem if the application is one that already requires
such UI touches as drag-n-drop or the speed of Comet.

I mean, yeah, I use Lynx from time to time. But there's a difference
between going riding at the country club when it's convenient and fun,
and trying to cross the continent with your horse-drawn cart.