[Baypiggies] If it helps with Thurs night...

Glen Jarvis glen at glenjarvis.com
Wed Aug 26 16:32:44 CEST 2009

I just taught a class last night on Subversion... it's been several
years since I taught and I forgot just how downright fun it is...

Only a year ago I was "freaking out" when I saw a "G" flag when
updating files (afraid of a conflict). I remember a fellow BayPIGgie
member laughing (amiably) saying "G is for Good Glen." :)

The class I taught was two hours long and for the very beginner. But,
I seriously doubt that this is a full topic for us.  However, it's a
possibly newbie nugget (only if we have newbies who don't know how to
use subversion).

We started with diff and patch conceptually.. diff'd two files,
shipped the 'diff' to a customer (another student) and patched, etc.
Then, using those core concepts, we talked about how subversion
works, from the very beginning (checking out files), to multiple
editing, conflict resolution, branches, tags, trunk, etc. We only
briefly talked about merging branches...

Let me know if there's any interest at all....

Cheers,

Glen