[Baypiggies] off topic: JavaScript: DOM vs. innerHTML, Server-driven vs. Client-driven

Rich Pixley rich.pixley at palm.com
Thu Aug 27 02:07:27 CEST 2009

Keith Dart wrote:
> === On Wed, 08/26, Rich Pixley wrote: ===
>
>> Er...  you all do realize that there are more web browsers in mobile
>>
> Modern phone browsers can do javascript, and they don't have to be
> "heavyweight". The basic requirement for that model is simply that all
> UI/presentation be handled in the client app (browser), and servers
> only provide data, not markup (except for initial page load).

Perhaps, although there's a general argument about where the workload
belongs that extends beyond just javascript.
>> (No mobile phone yet runs flash).
>>
> That's not quite true:
>
> http://androidcommunity.com/bsquare-android-flash-plugin-announced-20090630/
Well...  how about, "no released commercial device runs flash".  :).

You don't want to know how many devices I've seen running flash... nor
what their performance was like.  Suffice to say, "everyone seems to be
working on that and has been for a few years now".  (Licensing is also
an issue for flash).

--rich