[Baypiggies] [OT] Anyone ever have their Google Account temporarily disabled ?

tpc247 at aim.com tpc247 at aim.com
Thu Dec 3 21:38:58 CET 2009

Hi all, I know this doesn't have much to do with Python, but I know a lot of Google employees read this list, and I was hoping that someone in the Gmail department might know more.  I got my account temporarily disabled this past Monday at 5pm.  All of a sudden my google talk application presented a dialogue box saying

Username and password do not match.
You provided <username>

When I went to login to Gmail, I was presented with:

Account temporarily disabled
We apologize for the inconvenience. Accounts may be disabled because of a perceived violation of either the Google Terms of Service or product-specific Terms of Service. Learn more

Now at first I thought it was something that I did, and read the Google Terms of Service, and did some more research via google 'account temporarily disabled', and as far as I can tell, I'm not the only one who had their account disabled for no discernible reason.  I've sent the Google Account team at least two messages saying I don't have a cell phone, please let me know what I did and please reactivate my account, and I provided an alternate email address, and to this day I have not received a single response.  I also enlisted the aid of my roommate and my family members, who have cell phones that can receive text messages, and tried to use the Google interface to send a verification code via text message to their cell phones in order to reactivate my account.  Unfortunately, I've done this twice, last night and this morning, and both times I was presented with:

Sorry, there seems to be a problem. The service you're looking for is temporarily unavailable. We're working hard to restore your access as soon as possible. Please try again in a few hours. Thanks for your patience.

I'm at my wit's end, and I was wondering if anyone else had gone through something similar.

Thuon Chen