[Baypiggies] [OT] Anyone ever have their Google Account temporarily disabled ?

Daniel Dunbar daniel at zuster.org
Tue Dec 15 05:18:30 CET 2009

On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 12:38 PM,  <tpc247 at aim.com> wrote:
> Hi all, I know this doesn't have much to do with Python, but I know a lot of
> Google employees read this list, and I was hoping that someone in the Gmail
> department might know more.  I got my account temporarily disabled this past
> Monday at 5pm.  All of a sudden my google talk application presented a
> dialogue box saying
>
> Username and password do not match.
> You provided <username>
>
> When I went to login to Gmail, I was presented with:
>
> Account temporarily disabled
> We apologize for the inconvenience. Accounts may be disabled because of a
> perceived violation of either the Google Terms of Service or
> product-specific Terms of Service. Learn more
>
> Now at first I thought it was something that I did, and read the Google
> Terms of Service, and did some more research via google 'account temporarily
> disabled', and as far as I can tell, I'm not the only one who had their
> account disabled for no discernible reason.  I've sent the Google Account
> team at least two messages saying I don't have a cell phone, please let me
> know what I did and please reactivate my account, and I provided an
> alternate email address, and to this day I have not received a single
> response.  I also enlisted the aid of my roommate and my family members, who
> have cell phones that can receive text messages, and tried to use the Google
> interface to send a verification code via text message to their cell phones
> in order to reactivate my account.  Unfortunately, I've done this twice,
> last night and this morning, and both times I was presented with:
>
> Sorry, there seems to be a problem. The service you're looking for is
> temporarily unavailable. We're working hard to restore your access as soon
> as possible. Please try again in a few hours. Thanks for your patience.
>
> I'm at my wit's end, and I was wondering if anyone else had gone through
> something similar.

This has happened to me numerous times, but not enough to motivate me
to do something about it. I usually treat it as a sign I should stop
hacking for a while. :)

Generally its happened to me after I've been on a mass email
processing kick, so I assume it is based on some spam-detection-like
activity monitoring.

 - Daniel