[Baypiggies] native GUI vs. web browser

Heikki Toivonen hjtoi at comcast.net
Wed Dec 16 05:54:07 CET 2009

Keith Dart wrote:
> So, what is the future of native GUI development? Is there one, or will
> every custom interface move to the web technologies?

I think there will always (well, for the foreseeable future at least) be
a market for native (GUI or otherwise) applications. Currently bandwidth
is a pretty effective limiter for some data intensive applications.
There are also people that don't trust anyone with their data, for whom
native applications are the way to go. Security is another point which
native applications can have as selling point.

But I do agree that for the majority of applications "browser-based" is
the future. I would in fact argue that that has been the case for
several years already. I see mobile devices currently bucking that
trend, but as devices get more powerful and (mobile) browsers more
capable, mobile applications will go the way of the desktop applications.

--
  Heikki Toivonen - http://heikkitoivonen.net