[Baypiggies] native GUI vs. web browser

Andrew Akira Toulouse andrew at atoulou.se
Wed Dec 16 19:37:59 CET 2009

I think Microsoft should make something competitive. Maybe call it
ActiveX! It'll be a great idea that will revolutionize computing!
That, or expose security holes and facilitate malware for years to
come, but really, what are the chances of that happening.

What? It's 2009? Oh.

/snark

As it turns out, Google appears to be doing something to address your
concerns already:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Native_Client
http://code.google.com/p/nativeclient/

I think that Google has the advantage this time around of knowing a
lot more about web browsers than anyone else knew way back in the day,
and has the expertise (loads of smart people) necessary as well as the
lessons learned from ActiveX to do it right this time. After all, Java
has managed to do it, at least technologically - the user experience
for applets seems to be consistently poor. I'm hoping that in whatever
native solution comes out next (such as NaCl) there will be an easy
way to manipulate web page content so that, for example, you could
script web pages in Python. <script type="text/python"> would be
awesome.

--Andy