[Baypiggies] native GUI vs. web browser

Keith Dart keith at dartworks.biz
Wed Dec 16 23:07:50 CET 2009

=== On Wed, 12/16, Dennis Reinhardt wrote: ===

> There seemed to be few enough of us there that the comment you have
> in mind could have been mine.  I have been doing Windows (mostly)
> desktop apps where the app is a temporary http server and the user
> interface is browser based. However ... I would not and hope I did
> not claim native GUI development is going the way of the dinosaur.

If you were sitting in the front row, then yes. :-) However, I didn't
mean to imply that you said that. I'm just using that as a data point
for my own assessment.

> Because the "server" is running on the local machine, it has full
> access to the all the facilities Python provides.  Since the server
> binds to 127.0.0.1, there is no possibility of attack from a browser
> on a remote machine.  A remote multi-user implementation is a natural
> extension, if the application and market require that.

That's exactly what I had in mind. A custom, in-house application that
people often use Visual-whatever for might now become just browser
based using a local server. Later one might easily separate them, if
required.

But when you do that a lot... it seems to obviate the need for a native
GUI. Now, if you use Google Chrome, which has the application feature
where you can turn off the nav bar and other decoration, you can't
hardly tell the difference.

-- Keith Dart

--
Keith Dart