[Baypiggies] Online Dictionary/Thesaurus

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Thu Feb 5 01:12:57 CET 2009

On Wed, 4 Feb 2009, J C wrote:

> How would one convert the xml file? I am fairly new to programing etc.
> Are you sure this is required? Words are grouped by a particular range
> in the alphabet (shown in the file name). Words are in a particular tag
> with a corresponding unique identifier.

You might like to read "Dive Into Python"
<http://www.diveintopython.org/toc/index.html> which covers XML
processing.

But if you just want a website, I would suggest you:

* Learn about how to run a web server like Apache and have it show plain
HTML pages to a user

* Learn how to write a program that generates HTML files

(If you are a new programmer, I recommend this text
<http://www.greenteapress.com/thinkpython/html/> to learn how to program
in Python. Then go back to Dive Into Python.)

* Write a program that generates one HTML file per web page you want your
users to be able to see.

That way, no programs other than the web server get called when users hit
your website, so it will be as fast as it can be.

-- Asheesh.

--
No violence, gentlemen -- no violence, I beg of you!  Consider the furniture!
 		-- Sherlock Holmes