[Baypiggies] SF Python Meetup, Our Location, Django SF Meetup, Intermediate Python at Foothill

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Thu Jan 8 06:48:43 CET 2009

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008, Shannon -jj Behrens wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 6:26 PM, Asheesh Laroia <asheesh at asheesh.org> wrote:
>> On Thu, 11 Dec 2008, wesley chun wrote:
>>
>>> What: January Hack Session - Theme: App Engine
>>> When: January 7, 2009 7:00 PM
>>> Where: Click the link below to find out!
>>
>> When I saw the meetup page last, I had to give my personal information to
>> meetup.com and sign in before I could see the location.
>>
>> I found that creepy, and so I have not yet learned the location of this
>> event.  I also find it weird that this email to the Baypiggies list doesn't
>> say where the event is despite the subject saying "Our Location".
>>
>> Meetup sort of creeps me out since it turned away from its free-of-charge
>> community roots that empowered the Dean Campaign in 2003. The fact that no
>> one will tell me where this event is, unless I give personal information to
>> Meetup, particularly makes me feel uneasy.
>
> It'll be held at Slide, 301 Brannan Street, San Francisco, CA 94107.

Thanks!

> My guess is that no one expected you to find Meetup creepy especially
> since the SF Python group is a Meetup group.

I guess more than the fact that it was on meetup.com at all is the fact
that Wesley only provided tantalizing hints as to its location rather than
announcing it. It felt like a strange "I won't tell you where to find me
unless you agree to the Meetup.com terms of service" scenario, which I
found odd.  (Am I really the only one?)

Anyway, I'll see if I can make it in the future!

-- Asheesh.

--
Tonight's the night: Sleep in a eucalyptus tree.