[Baypiggies] Bad, bad, web (was SF Python Meetup)

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Thu Jan 8 17:21:24 CET 2009

On Wed, Jan 07, 2009, Asheesh Laroia wrote:

> I guess more than the fact that it was on meetup.com at all is the fact
> that Wesley only provided tantalizing hints as to its location rather
> than announcing it. It felt like a strange "I won't tell you where to
> find me unless you agree to the Meetup.com terms of service" scenario,
> which I found odd.  (Am I really the only one?)

Not having thought much about this specific scenario nor investigated the
details, it's not possible for me to agree with you here, but I have
certainly felt similarly in other situations that were as you describe.
Fundamentally, I think that the Web model for social communication is
badly broken.

definition, not smart enough to debug it."  --Brian W. Kernighan