[Baypiggies] headless javascript execution

Nathan Ramella nar at hush.com
Fri Jan 9 18:18:44 CET 2009

Hi guys,

Last night was my first meeting and I wanted to thank everyone
involved for organizing, as well as both of the speakers -- I learned
new things and have some things I need to research.

There were a couple of things I wanted to throw out there since people
seem to be interested (I apologize if you've covered them before, but
nobody that I heard brought them up at the meeting in context)

* jsbridge, which I've used in the past with success, I'm behind on
its latest versions but it does provide a fairly nifty interface
ipython style, allows you to tab complete and whatnot. It's
easy_install-able. Good for interactive mucking around.

http://code.google.com/p/jsbridge/

* Mozrepl, which isn't Python specific, it's basically a telnet socket
interface that you can get a javascript console out of -- might be
useful if you've got some specific task in mind that jsbridge doesn't
cover. Also good for interactive mucking around.

http://wiki.github.com/bard/mozrepl/home

* python-spidermonkey looks like it's back in development with
checkins as recently as October, if you need something that's
completely separate from a browser (unit tests, regression, build
verification..)

http://code.google.com/p/python-spidermonkey/

In relation to the coverage talk, I immediately thought of Snakefood,
which isn't about code coverage at all, but instead dependency graphing.

http://furius.ca/snakefood/

Thats it for now. If there's any OSX-using baypiggies out there I've
got a silly project that I'm getting ready to release involving
DictionaryServices.framework and could use some beta-testers. If you
like the Oxford English Dictionary and want access to it via Python,
shoot me an email and I'll send you a tarball to try out.

-Nathan Ramella