[Baypiggies] Speaker for Feb/Mar/Apr [Pyrex/ctypes/SWIG for wrapping satellite image analysis for nuclear non-proliferation]

Stephen McInerney spmcinerney at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 18 06:19:56 CET 2009

I spoke with Damian Eads and he offers to give us an expanded version
of his SciPy 08 talk for Pyrex/ctypes/SWIG for satellite image analysis for
nuclear non-proliferation [link below]
Not sure if Nathan or anyone else wanted to do a newbie nugget on this
same topic that nght - could be good, I would encourage Nathan to.

Jim or someone - can you mail out the list of our scheduled meeting dates for
Feb-Mar-Apr at the new Symantec Mtn View location?

Damian is based in New Mexico so let's see what fits his schedule.
Regards,
Stephen

From: spmcinerney at hotmail.comTo: baypiggies at python.orgDate: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 20:20:01 -0800CC: damian.eads at gmail.comSubject: Re: [Baypiggies] Opinions on Pyrex vs. ctypes vs. SWIG and whatever else binds to dynamic/shared libs

The "which wrapper to use?" design question was in fact one of the topicsof Damian Eads' paper at this year's SciPy 2008: "First Time Experiences Using SciPy for Computer Vision Research"http://conference.scipy.org/static/wiki/eads-cv.pdfNot saying the paper was the definitive word on this subject, but I thought it was a good paper and an interesting and topical applicationarea (satellite image analysis for nuclear non-proliferation) and aSciPy newbie case study.I suggested we should invite Damian to present at BayPIGgies sometime,any comments?In fact, many folks have experience on this question, it would make a greattopic for a presentation by multiple users sharing their viewpoints for differentdomains (I haven't done this stuff so I can't comment myself;The consensus answer as far as I can see seems to depend largelyon how robust and stable the wrapperized code is, how much type-safetyyou need, exception-handling, how much control or visibility you have overthe underlying source etc...)Stephen> From: nar at hush.com> To: baypiggies at python.org> Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 12:23:43 -0800> Subject: [Baypiggies] Opinions on Pyrex vs. ctypes vs. SWIG and whatever else binds to dynamic/shared libs> > Hi guys,> > Long time lurker, first time poster -- I've got a question that has > been bugging me for a while and I figured I'd roll it out here to see > what opinions people may have.> > I've done a bit of work with Python binding to DLLs on Windows and > shared libraries on Linux/OSX, but I've mostly taken the ctypes route > using GCC-XML to generate wrapper code for me. It would seem that most > cheese shop modules use Pyrex with hand coded wrappers or SWIG to half > auto-gen the wrappers and finish off with hand fix-ups.> > Since ctypes ships with Python I kind of assumed it would be the > 'default' way of performing this task, but most people seem to like > Pyrex and a minority of people seem to use SWIG but hate it.> > I suspect the question is similar to asking 'Which is better, vi or > emacs?', but I'd like to hear what other people are doing / have done > and why they prefer it?> > For those unfamiliar with ctypes / ctypeslib here's the process:> > 0) Install gccxml> 1) Install ctypeslib module if it's not on your system, this will put > h2xml.py and xml2py.py on your system> 2) h2xml.py -I/path/to/includes SomeIncludeFile.h -o SomeIncludeFile.xml> 3) xml2py.py SomeIncludeFile.xml -o NewPythonModule.py> > There's a bit of fiddling you can do with the h2xml stuff as far as > preprocessing, but that's roughly what it takes. You still need to > hand-fix the generated wrapper code to make it 'pythonic' if thats > your flavor, since it passes C-type variables in and out, but it still > seems like a better development flow than using Pyrex/SWIG, but there > may be factors I'm unaware of. (Which is why I'm asking here!)> > Hopefully this isn't too off topic for the list, I look forward to the > responses,> > Thanks!> > Nathan Ramella> nar <> @ <> hush.com