[Baypiggies] current topic schedule for February, March, and April

Shannon -jj Behrens jjinux at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 09:28:15 CET 2009

> newbie nugget suggestions:
> decorators

+1

> current buzzwords
> wxPython

It'd be great to have a talk on wxPython if we could actually find
someone who *likes* wxPython.  Otherwise, it'd be cool to find someone
using one of the higher level libraries on top of wxPython that has
had good experiences.

> other?

Is anyone doing any Python programming using XPCOM, Pyjamas or any of
the other ways of combining Python and a browser?

> main talk suggestions:
> IEEE-488/GPIB instrument automation
> Any type of GUI programming
> threading

A newbie nugget on the processing module would be cool.

> stack manipulation module (e.g. greenlet)

+1

Has anyone tried out Spawning yet?
http://pypi.python.org/pypi/Spawning/0.7  The author, Donovan Preston
used to be a BayPiggies member, but now I only see him at PyCon.

> py 3k

It'd be great to get a talk from someone who's actually ported a
decently sized library or program.

> XO sugar programming
> django

I think I saw something about that on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ya-l3GjRmU ;)

> REST representational state transfer

I read "RESTful Web Services", but I found it a bit boring.
Nonetheless, it'd be cool to have a RESTafarian give a talk on REST.
Perhaps a talk might be more exciting ;)

> Restful text in Python26 (restructured text)

That'd be a great newbie nugget.

> doctest

Didn't Wesley cover that in his newbie nugget?

> Web programming (CherryPy? Pylons? <framework buzzword here>)

Ben Bangert should really give his Pylons talk.

Has anyone played around with a continuation based framework like
Seaside or Nagare http://www.nagare.org/trac/wiki/NagareFeatures ?

> abstract classes

Is anyone other than the Twisted people and the Zope people using ABCs
in their programs?  That'd be cool to hear about, perhaps in a newbie
nugget.

> other?

In the RoRs world, they have Capistrano.  There are a couple of
similar projects in the Python world that don't seem as popular.  Does
anyone have a way of deploying Web apps that they're really happy
with?  If so, how do you handle database migrations, etc.  That'd be a
fun talk.

A newbie nugget on Supervisord would be cool.

A newbie nugget on virtualenv would be cool.

A talk on zc.buildout might or might not be interesting, depending on
your point of view ;)

A talk on using Hadoop or Disco to do MapReduce in Python might be cool.

An intro to Cython or Pyrex would be neat.

Best Regards,
-jj

--
In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things
with great love. -- Mother Teresa