[Baypiggies] current topic schedule for February, March, and April

Shannon -jj Behrens jjinux at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 09:28:15 CET 2009

> newbie nugget suggestions:
> decorators

> current buzzwords
> wxPython

It'd be great to have a talk on wxPython if we could actually find
someone who *likes* wxPython.  Otherwise, it'd be cool to find someone
using one of the higher level libraries on top of wxPython that has
had good experiences.

> other?

Is anyone doing any Python programming using XPCOM, Pyjamas or any of
the other ways of combining Python and a browser?

> main talk suggestions:
> IEEE-488/GPIB instrument automation
> Any type of GUI programming
> threading

A newbie nugget on the processing module would be cool.

> stack manipulation module (e.g. greenlet)

Has anyone tried out Spawning yet?
http://pypi.python.org/pypi/Spawning/0.7  The author, Donovan Preston
used to be a BayPiggies member, but now I only see him at PyCon.

> py 3k

It'd be great to get a talk from someone who's actually ported a
decently sized library or program.

> XO sugar programming
> django

I think I saw something about that on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ya-l3GjRmU ;)

> REST representational state transfer

I read "RESTful Web Services", but I found it a bit boring.
Nonetheless, it'd be cool to have a RESTafarian give a talk on REST.
Perhaps a talk might be more exciting ;)

> Restful text in Python26 (restructured text)

That'd be a great newbie nugget.

> doctest

Didn't Wesley cover that in his newbie nugget?

> Web programming (CherryPy? Pylons? <framework buzzword here>)

Ben Bangert should really give his Pylons talk.

Has anyone played around with a continuation based framework like
Seaside or Nagare http://www.nagare.org/trac/wiki/NagareFeatures ?

> abstract classes

Is anyone other than the Twisted people and the Zope people using ABCs
in their programs?  That'd be cool to hear about, perhaps in a newbie

> other?

In the RoRs world, they have Capistrano.  There are a couple of
similar projects in the Python world that don't seem as popular.  Does
anyone have a way of deploying Web apps that they're really happy
with?  If so, how do you handle database migrations, etc.  That'd be a
fun talk.

A newbie nugget on Supervisord would be cool.

A newbie nugget on virtualenv would be cool.

A talk on zc.buildout might or might not be interesting, depending on
your point of view ;)

A talk on using Hadoop or Disco to do MapReduce in Python might be cool.

An intro to Cython or Pyrex would be neat.

Best Regards,

In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things
with great love. -- Mother Teresa