[Baypiggies] considering starting a Open Source collective

Paul McNett p at ulmcnett.com
Thu Jan 29 17:49:31 CET 2009

I love the Collective idea. I've been an independent consultant in the South Bay for
over 9 years now, and have frequently longed for having extra resources at my
disposal, such as someone else to answer the phone and do triage on phone and email,
set up appointments, and basically keep me on schedule.

As a single independent consultant, I've never wanted to take on the cost of hiring
such an administrative person and training them, but a Collective could share the
cost of such a person equally. Or, each member of the Collective could put in a
certain amount of time covering the office stuff each week.

The specialties of each member should complement one another as much as possible, and
client lists should be shared as much as is practical. The Collective should use the
same technologies for time, billing, and accounting and perhaps even present a
unified invoice to the customer.

Perhaps I'm really talking about more of a formal partnership, instead of a loose
collective.

Paul