[Baypiggies] Perot at NASA - Sr. Python Developer

Michiel Overtoom motoom at xs4all.nl
Wed Jul 1 12:08:43 CEST 2009

Anna wrote:

> Many men, on the other hand, will read that and be willing to apply
> even if they meet *most* [...] of those requirements.

I'm also inclined not to apply as soon as I see something on the
requirements list in which I'm not proficient, but...

Out of desperation I once decided to apply for a job which required
familiarity with the FileNet API, which was completely unknown to me at
that time.  Because they couldn't find anyone else on short term, I got
hired after I explained them that getting to know a new API is nothing
special for a developer.  After looking at the FileNet API for an
afternoon, I was able to incorporate it into the application, and before
the week was over I knew every function in there.  And I guess that
there are thousands of APIs and libraries out there that fit this
scenario (although some are more complicated than others).

I'd say the requirement in the job listing was overstated.  They could
have more response if they'd specified something as 'experience with, or
willing and able to learn the FileNet API'.

Greetings,

--
"The ability of the OSS process to collect and harness
the collective IQ of thousands of individuals across