[Baypiggies] Book Suggestions?

Shannon -jj Behrens jjinux at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 09:44:46 CEST 2009

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 1:29 PM, Fred C <fred at bsdhost.net> wrote:

> On Jun 30, 2009, at 12:27 PM, Stephen Cattaneo wrote:
>
>  Hi all,
>>
>> I have a $50 gift certificate to amazon burning a hole in my pocket.
>> I'd like to pick up either a newb/intermediate Django book or an
>> intermediate/advanced general Python book.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> (I currently own a single Python book: "Python in a Nutshell.")
>>

> I enjoyed reading that book "Expert Python Programming: Best practices for
> designing, coding, and distributing your Python software"
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/184719494X/
>
> This is not a reference manual, you won't find the complete list of all the
> function with their parameters and return values. But it is very interesting
> and helpful for organising, optimising and writing clean code.

I'd have to agree.  I was the technical editor for that book, and I really
enjoyed reading it.

I'd also recommend "The Practice of Programming".  Although it isn't about
Python, it's short and extremely useful.  It was written by Kernighan and
Pike of UNIX fame.

Best Regards,
-jj

--
In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things with
great love. -- Mother Teresa