[Baypiggies] Help ! How to exchange python objects between two python processes on the same machine ?

David Berthelot d_berthelot at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 10 02:03:33 CEST 2009

Ok, I'm trying to send some python objects from one Python process to another, on the same machine.

The problem is well defined and simple:
1. There are only 2 processes: 1 is always waiting, 1 is always sending.
2. As soon as a datastructure is fully sent by process1, process2 must receive it immediately (I mean there must be no buffering)
3. The processes can be given some data when they start (for example a port or something of that nature, or a filename).
4. They're on the same machine

So technically I'd like to do:
Process1: data = ((1,2,"abc",{d:"ef"}),2)
                send(data)

Process2: data = receive();
                print data # And here you get the data sent by process1 (and note it's a python object, tuple, dict ...)

I'd like to know if there's an elegant way to do this in Python, I did a google search but I keep running into server/clients for exchanging HTTP or other internet stuff which is not really what I'm looking for.

Thanks,

David