[Baypiggies] Finding work - Company: Keas (S.F.)

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Mon Jun 8 15:56:47 CEST 2009

On Mon, Jun 08, 2009, Dylan Reinhardt wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 7, 2009 at 7:32 PM, Aahz <aahz at pythoncraft.com> wrote:
>>
>> Going off on a little bit of a tangent, it's my perception that because
>> Python is still largely self-selected, the Python community overall skews
>> older than other parts of the computer industry.  Although the bias
>> toward young people does exist in the computer industry, I've seen little
>> evidence of it in hiring for Python jobs.
>
> That's not my sense of Python demographics at all.  Or of hiring bias.
>
> People who attend meetings *also* represent a largely self-selected
> group.  There may be something about the meeting night, time, or
> location that causes one group to show up and another not to make it.
> I've wanted to come to a meeting of this group for years and never
> seem to make it happen.
>
> Your evidence for young people in Python may lie in the disparity
> between how many people are on the mailing list and how many people
> make it to a meeting.  The fact that you don't see them may, itself,
> be evidence of hiring bias.  Young people may be more likely to blow
> off networking and professional development stuff during the time
> they're in heavy professional demand.

You're making statements about my evidence without knowing what my
evidence is?  Why do you think that my evidence comes from BayPIGgies
meeting demographics?

Side note: for anyone not aware, the current Release Manager for Python
is not yet eighteen, so it's certainly the case that younger people are
also heavily involved with Python development.

"If you don't know what your program is supposed to do, you'd better not
start writing it."  --Dijkstra