[Baypiggies] Jim and Alex

Glen Jarvis glen at glenjarvis.com
Tue Jun 9 03:36:13 CEST 2009

> many thanks, aahz. turns out just this time
> that Alex Martelli's talk on Abstraction will
> take the entire time (and possibly then some
> if there are searching questions).

And, Thank *you* Jim for always being such a great organizer. (I'm
sorry I hadn't gotten to your shell discussion yet, it's been a very
busy month).

> Abstraction is a powerful servant, but a dangerous master. We code,
> design, think, debug ... on a tower of abstractions. Spolsky's Law
> tells us that "All abstractions leak". This talk explores why they
> leak, why that's often a problem, what to do about it; I also cover
> why sometimes abstractions SHOULD "leak", and how best to produce and
> consume abstraction layers.

I am *very* interested in this talk. This will be very *very*
interesting.

Alex,
     If you get a chance, can you either give us some slides to
preview or send out a "preparation homework?"  I'd like to have all
the background knowledge (e.g., what is Spolsky's Law) personally
researched so I can get the *most* out of what you're going to talk
about....

Thank you everyone,

Glen
--
415-680-3964
glen at glenjarvis.com

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -M. Gandhi