[Baypiggies] GIL for dummies

Jeff Younker jeff at drinktomi.com
Fri Jun 12 23:42:54 CEST 2009

On Jun 12, 2009, at 2:34 PM, Shannon -jj Behrens wrote:

> At the risk of wandering off topic, I was amazed to see that Scala
> lets you use multiple cores, supports Erlang-style concurrency, and
> performs far better than Python on a lot of benchmarks.  I'm going to
> keep coding Python everywhere I can, but I'll probably think about
> using Scala for a certain class of problems.

Yeah, I'm thrilled to see that Scala is starting to get some
traction.  Static
typing and type inference in a unified functional-object oriented
just rocks.  Plus it exclusively targets the JVM you get full
will Java and access to all of its tools and libraries.

It's kind of like Geiger's Alien has just invaded that Java ecology.