[Baypiggies] Job Requirements PEP

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Tue Jun 30 21:46:36 CEST 2009

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009, Charles Merriam wrote:

> So, will there be a PEP for how to hire and evaluate Python
> programmers?   Python would be the first language to explicitly even
> think about what a programmer should know.  It could provide a topic
> list or point system for competence in Python  constructs and aspects.
>  It might provide a guideline for other professionals to get an early
> pass at competence.
>
> My intuition is that this idea deserves a vigorous, silly, in person
> debate.  After which, one person will write "The Purity Test:  Python
> Edition", and, more likely than not, no answers will be found.

Although you're joking, I wanted to respond seriously and mention that
there have been previous discussions of Python certification, and while
there is a significant and vocal minority who favor certification, a
slightly larger and vocal minority vigorously opposes certification.
(Not surprisingly, most people don't seem to care.)  As someone in the
opposition, I'll make the self-serving claim that opposition will
increase if certification ever starts gaining traction.  ;-)