[Baypiggies] Perot at NASA - Sr. Python Developer

Rocky Kahn rocky at teampatent.com
Tue Jun 30 23:04:23 CEST 2009

I've recently been posting jobs for Python
experts<http://teampatent.com/jobs.html>and specify no recruiters & no
offshore.  Most responses come come from
recruiters and offshore firms who blatantly ignore these requirements.  It's
easy to filter these and, as CEO, I carefully read applications from those
who take the time to read the requisition, even when there are substantive
gaps between the applicant's experience and the work requirements.  I'm
careful to limit the requirements to the minimum and put all the "desirable"
traits in the section beginning with "strong candidates will be able to...".

I assume recruiters have little or no programming knowledge so they can't do
this filtering.  The employer is paying the recruiter $10-20k (?) for help
filtering applicants so the recruiter doesn't want to dump the unfiltered
applications on the hiring manager.  The result is an overly-strict set of
qualifications.  The requirements could be minimized by using recruiters
with programming experience but there's not many recruiters with that skill
and they'd be more expensive.

It seems like dereliction of duty for hiring managers to work through
recruiters, but maybe there's a good reason I don't discern.

Rocky Kahn
TeamPatent