[Baypiggies] Django CMS or Plone ?

William Deegan bdbaddog at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 01:43:47 CET 2009

All,

Having at least played around with both (including the baypiggies.net site
which is an older version of plone), I'll make the following (somewhat
educated) comments:
1. Plone will give you a lot more of what you need without writing any code,
and if there are plone products which take care of the rest, your time to
usefulness will be much shorter. If you have to write a product (extension)
for plone, it will likely take longer to ramp up how to do it than it would
to do the same with django.  If you've never used a CMS before, you will
need to learn some common CMS workflows ( but since they're using joomla
they should be familiar with these anyway).
2. Django - you can probably get started writing code much quicker, but you
may have to write a lot more code to get what you need.  There may or may
not be django components or packages to accomplish much of what you need.

If I was going to publish an e-zine, likely I'd pick an existing CMS and
build from that. Plone's not a bad one, joomla's probably easier to
understand if you need to build any additional components (at least it was
easier for me to pick up,even though I've not done any PHP).  I have no idea
how the two compare as far as scalabililty,  nor in the breadth of addons
available.

If you're going to go with a CMS, probably worth finding an "expert" who's
time you can pay for from time to time (minimally) to make sure you're not
making bad decisions on "big" issues, like site organization and/or SEO
issues.
(Donna's the local resource for Plone that I know of.)

One mistake I made on baypiggies was to use a blogging product for the book
reviews. This has made it a pain to upgrade to newer version of plone (which
I'll undo when I have more bandwidth)

That's all the advice I got at the moment!

Good luck,
Bill
Founder
Bad Dog Consulting