[Baypiggies] draft of pycon talk

Aaron Maxwell amax at redsymbol.net
Tue Mar 24 17:08:28 CET 2009

Hi Jd,

Thanks for your comments.  One thing I did not mention: the talk is supposed
to be less than 30 minutes - which means I talk for 25 minutes, then answer
questions for five.  I can streamline what I said in the MP3 to fit in that
pretty easily, I think, but I still have to make painful choices about
eliminating things.

On Tuesday 24 March 2009 04:31:50 jd wrote:
> -- the flow..etc looks good.

ok, that's good to get a comment on - good flow is what I am shooting for.

> -- There is another dimension to automated testing... particularly when ur
> automated tests take say 20 hrs. You need to have categories of tests.

This is a good idea, I will try to work this idea in.

> -- You need to pick one or two of the fwk / compare contrast and recommend.

I more or less do that in the spoken word version.  I basically recommend
BuildBot for general use unless there is a specific reason otherwise, but I
don't have time to go into detailed pros and cons of the other frameworks.

> -- There is a lot more to it... like
>    -- how to setup components that makes up application.
>    -- how to set up initial  data from
>       -- for each test
>       -- for each suite.

I think these are more in the scope of the (lower-level) test harness, e.g. at
the level of tools like the unittest module, py.test, nose, etc., rather than
the higher-level QA system.  They are certainly good things to talk about, but
I will have to skip over them for want of time.

> -- U might need to run migration tests every so often.. to make sure that
> new features..etc. would get upgraded correctly at existing deployments.

Again, not a bad idea but I expect I will have to omit this.

> Hope this helps :)

It does, thanks!

> /Jd

Aaron Maxwell