[Baypiggies] draft of pycon talk

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Wed Mar 25 19:55:27 CET 2009

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009, Aaron Maxwell wrote:

> I'm presenting at Pycon this year, about "Building an Automated QA
> Infrastructure using Open-Source Python Tools":
> http://us.pycon.org/2009/conference/schedule/event/22/
>
> If anyone has some spare cycles and would like to help me with some
> feedback, I have a draft which I would sincerely appreciate comments
> on:
>
> http://redsymbol.net/media/pycon-draft/pres1.odp

You probably don't have time to fix this, but for future reference, your
slides are a bit text-heavy (you should have less text per slide).  One
way to do this is to use shorthand English as bullet points -- remember
that you should be using the slides to support your talk, the slides
should not *be* the talk.

For example, change "Execute the installer in a clean environment" to
"Execute installer in clean environment".

Another example: I suggest separating "language agnostic, VC agnostic,
and bug-tracking system agnostic" into bullet points:

* language agnostic
* version control agnostic
* bug-tracking system agnostic

(You'll notice that I also expanded the abbreviation; if you must use an
abbreviation, I suggest "VCS" as the standard version.)

You could probably split some of your slides into multiple slides.
Generally speaking, each slide should represent about a minute of speech.

See also
http://us.pycon.org/2009/conference/helpforspeakers/

"At Resolver we've found it useful to short-circuit any doubt and just
refer to comments in code as 'lies'. :-)"
--Michael Foord paraphrases Christian Muirhead on python-dev, 2009-3-22