[Baypiggies] Do you think this would be cool open source?

Joshua Gallagher joshua.gallagher at gmail.com
Fri May 8 16:19:30 CEST 2009

Hi Glen,

I do software QA for a company that makes a storage appliance.  The
management system (from which the GUI and CLI are based) is written in
Java.  To aid in the testing of the product, all of the management
functions in the appliance are exposed via SOAP.  This allows the test
team to do substantial testing of the management functions without
screen scraping a CLI or using a Web robot against the GUI.

For the test automation, we needed a SOAP client.  We had great
success with ZSI as a SOAP client.  You can find details about ZSI
here:
http://pywebsvcs.sourceforge.net/

I highly recommend "Holger Joukl's implementation paper", found on the
same page.  ZSI is an active community and quite helpful.  While I
have never used the server-side of ZSI, if it works as well as the
client side does, then it should do well for you.

The only significant downside to ZSI is that it only supports SOAP 1.1
which can be very limiting.  SOAP 1.2 supports a far richer set of
objects and data types than 1.1.  If anyone on this list knows of a
good SOAP 1.2 client in Python I'd be happy to hear about it.

Joshua