[Baypiggies] python based test automation framework

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Tue May 12 06:18:06 CEST 2009

On Mon, May 11, 2009, Ravi Kondamuru wrote:

> I am looking for a test automation framework that executes regression test
> scripts.
>
> The tests are for a router like networking/firewall device. The capabilities
> I am looking for are:
>
> 1. execute selected/all test suites to be written in python
> 2. generate/archive html reports to be viewable later
>
> I am looking at unittest, nose etc but they seem to be for testing
> python-based application and hence not a fit.

What interface do you use for accessing the router?  Are you testing the
UI or the actual functionality?  For the former, assuming it's a web UI,
you probably want to use Selenium.  For the latter, just use the regular
Python testing frameworks, but presumably the units will be socket tests
that you compare against expected values.

--Bill Harlan