[Baypiggies] Hello friends

Brian Harring ferringb at gmail.com
Wed May 20 12:02:13 CEST 2009

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 09:56:05AM -0700, Aahz wrote:
> On Thu, May 14, 2009, Meenal Pant wrote:
> >
> > As many other developers I am seeking work at the moment. I am
> > applying for jobs but there are hardly any leads.  I am looking for
> > tips and advice on the best approach to this situation. I have been
> > following this list for a while and sense that there are many Python
> > gurus out here. I am learning Django nowadays to add a skill and have
> > started a blog http://pythontalk.blogspot.com/ .
>
> Make sure you're monitoring the Jobs Board on www.python.org and keep
> looking on Craigslist.

The problem I've always had with CL is that the mentioning of python
is basically defacto for HR folk- you wind up seeing quite a bit of
"python would be great" for SA jobs that are mostly uninteresting in
tech, scripting rather then actual development- this of course is
exempting the front end work.  The front end work is mostly utilizing
framework xyz to do JS/CSS/HTML abc.  Not knocking it, it's
interesting work if you like the frontend. I'm personally more
curious where folks are finding the true backend work, the "twisted
backend that interfaces with the media store to serve out 100-1000
files per second".  The code that powers the architecture
essentially.  Best description I can offer, if it involves debugging
the lighttpd state machine (nasty piece, that), it's the sort of work
I'm talking about.

So... sans the python job board, anyone got any pointers?  What I've
mostly seen these days is positions where <=2 years of python
suffices, or it's templating work.  I'm personally looking for
something where knowing the intricacies and idiocies of the cpython
vm matters (personal favorite, doing __getattr__ = getattr in
<python-2.5).  I'm seriously not knocking the frontend work
(templating and such), I'm just curious where folks see the sort of
work where hacking the hell out of the django ORM to speed it up is
the day to day work.

Might just be that the market is a bit locked up right now, but most
of the adverts I've seen really don't fall into the category described
above- I'd be quite interested in any pointers to boards/forums w/
work of the sort described above.

Thanks in advance,  Feel free to view this as a mild rant about the
PITA nature of finding a position where they're doing interesting
things (positive social results, say kiva.org) *and* doing
interesting tech in the process (say metaweb/freebase, although kiva
may fall into that classification).

Cheers-
~harring