[Baypiggies] Finding work

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Wed May 20 14:14:45 CEST 2009

On Wed, May 20, 2009, Brian Harring wrote:

> The problem I've always had with CL is that the mentioning of python
> is basically defacto for HR folk- you wind up seeing quite a bit of
> "python would be great" for SA jobs that are mostly uninteresting in
> tech, scripting rather then actual development- this of course is
> exempting the front end work.  The front end work is mostly utilizing
> framework xyz to do JS/CSS/HTML abc.  Not knocking it, it's
> interesting work if you like the frontend. I'm personally more
> curious where folks are finding the true backend work, the "twisted
> backend that interfaces with the media store to serve out 100-1000
> files per second".  The code that powers the architecture
> essentially.  Best description I can offer, if it involves debugging
> the lighttpd state machine (nasty piece, that), it's the sort of work
> I'm talking about.

While that's true, it's also very quick to sift through posts like that.
In addition, it can be worth checking to see if they really want
specifically UI coders; companies aren't always advertising all their
jobs.  Beyond that, I think you need to figure out which companies use
Python and apply to them directly regardless of whether they're
advertising (I haven't quite gotten to that stage, but it's my next
step).

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little
statesmen and philosophers and divines."  --Ralph Waldo Emerson