[Baypiggies] Hello friends

Shannon -jj Behrens jjinux at gmail.com
Wed May 20 22:22:10 CEST 2009

On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 3:02 AM, Brian Harring <ferringb at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 09:56:05AM -0700, Aahz wrote:
>> On Thu, May 14, 2009, Meenal Pant wrote:
>> >
>> > As many other developers I am seeking work at the moment. I am
>> > applying for jobs but there are hardly any leads.  I am looking for
>> > tips and advice on the best approach to this situation. I have been
>> > following this list for a while and sense that there are many Python
>> > gurus out here. I am learning Django nowadays to add a skill and have
>> > started a blog http://pythontalk.blogspot.com/ .
>> Make sure you're monitoring the Jobs Board on www.python.org and keep
>> looking on Craigslist.
> The problem I've always had with CL is that the mentioning of python
> is basically defacto for HR folk- you wind up seeing quite a bit of
> "python would be great" for SA jobs that are mostly uninteresting in
> tech, scripting rather then actual development- this of course is
> exempting the front end work.  The front end work is mostly utilizing
> framework xyz to do JS/CSS/HTML abc.  Not knocking it, it's
> interesting work if you like the frontend. I'm personally more
> curious where folks are finding the true backend work, the "twisted
> backend that interfaces with the media store to serve out 100-1000
> files per second".  The code that powers the architecture
> essentially.  Best description I can offer, if it involves debugging
> the lighttpd state machine (nasty piece, that), it's the sort of work
> I'm talking about.
> So... sans the python job board, anyone got any pointers?  What I've
> mostly seen these days is positions where <=2 years of python
> suffices, or it's templating work.  I'm personally looking for
> something where knowing the intricacies and idiocies of the cpython
> vm matters (personal favorite, doing __getattr__ = getattr in
> <python-2.5).  I'm seriously not knocking the frontend work
> (templating and such), I'm just curious where folks see the sort of
> work where hacking the hell out of the django ORM to speed it up is
> the day to day work.
> Might just be that the market is a bit locked up right now, but most
> of the adverts I've seen really don't fall into the category described
> above- I'd be quite interested in any pointers to boards/forums w/
> work of the sort described above.
> Thanks in advance,  Feel free to view this as a mild rant about the
> PITA nature of finding a position where they're doing interesting
> things (positive social results, say kiva.org) *and* doing
> interesting tech in the process (say metaweb/freebase, although kiva
> may fall into that classification).

There *are* a bunch of jobs like that out there, although I personally
prefer Eventlet and Nginx over Twisted and LigHTTPD ;)

The companies that I can think of are VMware, IronPort, Metaweb, and
Google.  Only VMware is still hiring, but Google is still open to
hiring super stars.  I also think there's a market for people who can
really own the database sharding infrastructure.

I don't think the situation is as dire as you might think, but I do
think finding a really awesome job requires patience.  As hockey fans
say, "If you skate hard, you're going to score some goals!"

In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things
with great love. -- Mother Teresa