[Baypiggies] [RECRUITER] Finding work

Shannon -jj Behrens jjinux at gmail.com
Thu May 21 02:42:07 CEST 2009

On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 4:17 PM, Elan <elan.martinez at gmail.com> wrote:
> <aahz at pythoncraft.com> wrote: "companies aren't always advertising all their
> jobs.  Beyond that, I think you need to figure out which companies use
> Python and apply to them directly regardless of whether they're
> advertising (I haven't quite gotten to that stage, but it's my next
> step)."
>
> Aahz, you are absolutely correct with this.  Many companies don't advertise
> some/all/any of their available jobs.  This due to various reasons including
> startups in "stealth mode" who don't want to widely publicize their
> existence except through very targeted solicitations, or smaller companies
> who don't have an internal HR or Recruiting team and who leave it up to
> their very busy managers to get  job descriptions written and posted on the
> careers site, or even larger companies that are constantly hiring the same
> skill sets and so keep cycling the same job descriptions regardless or
> whether or not the jobs are actually "active"... to name just a few reasons
> jobs aren't always publicized or kept up to date.
>
> So I am a recruiter (who has connected with and established relationships
> with a few members here at BayPiggies) and I've adhered to the guidlines of
> not posting any jobs here without first discussing with the moderator (which
> I haven't even done to date mostly because I haven't thought of this forum
> as a job marketing tool) and of course I wouldn't dream of posting unless I
> was directly representing the company:-)... So in the spirit of community I
> would like to suggest that perhaps we start a discussion thread where we
> help fellow members of this forum who are actively researching new job
> opportunities by providing information/intelligence/insight/etc. about any
> Bay Area companies who widely use Python and who we know are hiring or who
> have been hiring python developers.
>
> If what Ive suggested is amenable to the Moderator and if it hasn't already
> been done, then I would be happy to start the thread by providing the names
> of 2-3 companies who I know are hiring or who have recently been hiring
> python engineers, including a brief overview of the company and also the
> best course of contact at the company for any interested parties.   It's a
> tight market out there, let's embrace the spirit of community, and share
> information that may more readily benefit someone else.   C'mon recruiters
> too!  Karma isn't just a bunch of hooey.
>
> Moderator? It's your call.  Assuming you give the go-ahead, I'll suggest the
> following format:
>
> -Company Name
> -website if any
> -location
> -Brief overview of the company or as much info as can be divulged if it's in
> "stealth"
> -Known relevant jobs
> -Best suggested contact (please only provide specific contact details if you
> have that person's expressed consent to post his/her info, otherwise point
> [...]

Elan, thanks for following the rules.

<moderator hat on>
Ok, I know that a lot of people are struggling to find work, so I'm
going to make a one time exception.

 * Recruiters may reply to this thread (note, that "[RECRUITER]" is in
the subject).  Recruiters may *not* post job listings that are out of
the area unless telecommuting is an option.  I'm sure there are other
ways in which this allowance can be abused--please don't.

 * People looking for work can write a short email describing what
they are looking for along with a link to their resume.

This is not a permanent change to our policies.  Rather, this is a
short window in order to serve our members.  After all, this list
exists to serve its members--specifically the ones who code in Python
;)

If it gets out of hand, I reserve the right to ask everyone to stop the thread.

I'm sorry to be so draconian, but if I don't enforce the rules to the
best of my ability, I'll get an earful from the other members ;)

If you have any complaints: a) I suggest you setup an email filter to
filter out these messages b) send me email with complaints privately.
</moderator hat on>

Best Regards,
-jj

--
In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things
with great love. -- Mother Teresa