[Baypiggies] M.I.T. to drop Scheme in favor of Python

David Knupp knupp at well.com
Fri May 29 20:53:03 CEST 2009

On Apr 6, 2009, at 9:31 AM, Aahz wrote:

> (There's a joke that writing a web framework is the Python
> equivalent of
> working through SICP.)

I remember this quip being posted to the list several weeks ago.
Well, it turns out that it was prescient. M.I.T. has apparently made
the historic decision to teach their introductory 6.001 course using
Python instead of Scheme! (My apologies if this has been mentioned
before, and I somehow missed it.)

Here are some relevant links:

http://www.mitadmissions.org/topics/learning/coursework/
the_end_of_an_era_1.shtml
http://blog.snowtide.com/2009/03
http://danweinreb.org/blog/why-did-mit-switch-from-scheme-to-python

I wonder if this means that they'll be switching from SICP to
Wesley's book? :-)

--d.