[Baypiggies] Suicide

Shannon -jj Behrens jjinux at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 22:53:13 CET 2009

On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 10:35 AM, Rami Chowdhury <rami.chowdhury at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sat, 07 Nov 2009 13:03:23 -0800, Shannon -jj Behrens <jjinux at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>  On Sat, Nov 7, 2009 at 12:19 AM, Rami Chowdhury
>> <rami.chowdhury at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> My sincere condolences -- if there's any way I / we can help you out,
>>> please
>>> let me / us know.
>>>
>>>  I'm crushed because I know I could have helped if only he had given me
>>>>

>>> I wish that were always true :-( Sometimes there isn't much anyone can
>>> do.
>>>

>> Thanks, Rami.  I think we *can* help.
>>
>> I have a friend who said he helped prevent his friend from committing
>> suicide.  A group of friends noticed that this guy was going downhill
>> quickly.  They forced him to eat, take a shower, and get on a plane.
>> On the other side, they got him an internship at a new company.  Years
>> later, he was very successful and thanked them for saving his life.
>>
>> It only takes a small light to light up a dark room so that you can
>> find the door.
>>

> http://www.samaritans.org/
>
> Do you think something like this would work in the US? They've saved the
> lives of several people I know in the UK...

It works, eh?  That's great!  You should post that comment on my blog for
any other people who are looking.  There must be groups in the US who are
similar, although I don't know of any or whether they are successful.  I
think that we in the FOSS world have to really look out for each other
because the nature of our work can really wear us down over the long haul.

-jj

--
In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things with
great love. -- Mother Teresa