[Baypiggies] Suicide

Shannon -jj Behrens jjinux at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 10:36:15 CET 2009

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 8:19 PM, Aahz <aahz at pythoncraft.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 09, 2009, Shannon -jj Behrens wrote:
>> On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 10:35 AM, Rami Chowdhury <rami.chowdhury at gmail.com>wrote:
>>>
>>> http://www.samaritans.org/
>>>
>>> Do you think something like this would work in the US? They've saved the
>>> lives of several people I know in the UK...
>>
>> It works, eh?  That's great!  You should post that comment on my blog
>> for any other people who are looking.  There must be groups in the
>> US who are similar, although I don't know of any or whether they are
>> successful.  I think that we in the FOSS world have to really look out
>> for each other because the nature of our work can really wear us down
>> over the long haul.
>
> Are you saying that there's something particular to FOSS that makes
> people more susceptible to suicide?

I'm "falling" off list just to keep traffic down.

I definitely think there's something about the nature of software that
makes people more susceptible to suicide.  We devote practically our
entire lives to our craft, and yet, the work that we produce is so
quickly thrown away.  It's frustrating.

-jj

--
In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things
with great love. -- Mother Teresa