[Baypiggies] Bioinformatics Python Programmer

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Wed Oct 7 00:22:44 CEST 2009

On Tue, Oct 06, 2009, Benjamin Sergeant wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 10:00 AM, Aahz <aahz at pythoncraft.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Oct 06, 2009, Benjamin Sergeant wrote:
>>>
>>> Agreed, the job looks very interesting. But I would say that one
>>> should not be affraid to apply, even if you have very little knowledge
>>> in bio-informatics.
>>
>> That seems a bit rude.  Particularly given the mini-quiz about biology,
>> clearly the people hiring for the job want a biology background.  I'm
>> generally willing to apply for jobs where I'm a decent fit, but not jobs
>> where I am a poor fit for the advertised requirements.
>
> Only Glen can answer that. Out of curiosity, Glen, did you have a
> degree in biology / or good grasp of biology before starting / finding
> this job ?

That is IMO not a relevant question.  It's one thing to ask Glen
(publicly or privately) whether the stated requirements are really
essential.  It's another thing entirely to go ahead and apply for a job
where you do not match the stated requirements, particularly emphasized
requirements.

I do think it makes sense to use one's judgement in borderline cases,
but as I said above, when a job ad goes to considerable length to quiz
prospective applicants on their knowledge about a subject, I think that
applying when one does not match their stated requirements is rude.

"....Normal is what cuts off your sixth finger and your tail..."  --Siobhan