[Baypiggies] Bioinformatics Python Programmer

Benjamin Sergeant bsergean at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 02:48:01 CEST 2009

On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 5:31 PM, Paul McNett <p at ulmcnett.com> wrote:
> Andrew Dalke wrote:
>> But there are people, like me, who like working with more physically
>> oriented data sets than working on, say, financial data or social networks.
>>  People who just like science, and will take the pay cut.
> This is getting off topic, and personal, but I've been doing application
> design and implementation in the accounting, small business, point-of-sale,
> and small manufacturing arenas for my entire career. I've always been
> interested in science, and follow with great interest the
> written-for-laypeople science articles. But I never took any but the most
> basic science courses in high school and college (I don't even have any
> computer science formal education).
> I'm very happy with my consulting life but sometimes I wish I were doing
> more for the common good. Like being involved in advancing human knowledge
> somehow.
> So as I get older and more financially secure, I can see myself getting more
> likely to pursue a job as a programmer in some interesting scientific
> project. I think it would add some level of personal satisfaction to my
> life, knowing that I'm contributing to the greater good.
> So, I appreciate knowing about such opportunities, even though there's no
> way I'd apply for this particular gig at this particular time, because I
> agree with Aahz that it would be rude to waste people's time that way.

Maybe no one will answer this posting because it looks too hard, and
what will be wasted is that they won't find anyone ... while maybe you
would have been a great fit.

There are some stuff you can learn while doing a job, that's the job
of an engineer. I have a coworker who worked for NASA and who did not
understand a thing about propulsion chemistry. But he wrote the
program that drove some spaceship because he got some specs from
someone who did ...

I have never done any Python at the paying job, but I like to learn
things and now I can do some python. It's very pessimistic to believe
you're gonna do only what you learned in hight school/university or in
your first job for your whole life.