[Baypiggies] Bioinformatics Python Programmer

Dylan Reinhardt python at dylanreinhardt.com
Thu Oct 8 22:08:12 CEST 2009

On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 12:01 PM, Tony Cappellini <tony at tcapp.com> wrote:

> > So, I appreciate knowing about such opportunities, even though there's no
>> > way I'd apply for this particular gig at this particular time, because I
>> > agree with Aahz that it would be rude to waste people's time that way.
>>

> Being rude doesn't even apply here.

Rude is the perfect word for it.

When someone has made it clear that a specific set of skills is required and
those are skills that take many years of hard work to acquire, it is rude
(not to mention arrogant) to suggest that you could pick these skills up
during a spare weekend.  You are saying, in effect, that other people's life
work is a matter of little consequence or challenge for someone of your vast
intellect.

Good programming skills are not sufficient qualification for all programming
jobs.  Get used to that, you're going to be seeing a lot more of it as
computational biology continues to explode.

$.02.