[Baypiggies] Motion | Andrew to speak on Scientific computing?

jim jim at well.com
Mon Oct 12 21:21:02 CEST 2009

comments interspersed below:

On Mon, 2009-10-12 at 20:15 +0200, Andrew Dalke wrote:
> On Oct 12, 2009, at 6:34 PM, jim wrote:
> >    so far what we've got is tentative. this seems
> > a good candidate for our november 19 meeting (the
> > third, not the fourth thursday of november).
>
> I would like to do this.
>
> >    glen, can you run with this: is he really free
> > to give this talk on that date?

> I am, but I would like to know soon as I'm putting my Thanksgiving
> travel together now.
JS: we're saying "yes"; please confirm you'll give
a talk at the VCafe in Mountain View on November 19.
meeting starts at 7:30 PM. newbie nugget presentation
from 7:35 to 7:45 or so. main presentation (your talk)
after newbie nugget until done, typically 45 to 60
minutes, can go a bit longer.

> > seems to me we
> > like talks with code examples and techniques: what
> > important modules are there, any caveats to their
> > use? got code snippet examples?
>

> My plan was to cover some of the software involved in computational
> chemistry and biology, give an idea of a few of the basic problems
> from a programming sense, and perhaps some commentary about what it's
> like to develop software for scientists. It would be a modification
> of my EuroSciPy 2008 talk, at
>
>    http://www.euroscipy.org/download/2008/
> euroscipy2008_dalke_chemistry.pdf
>
> As for code examples, there's not much I can show off since it really
> requires some knowledge of the science.
JS: main thing is a python-orientation. remember that
those in the audience who are in other fields are likely
more interested in your talk if there's a python twist
to things here and there.

> How much time would I have?
JS: hopefully at least 45 minutes and welcome to more,
probably not much over 60; the time is there for you.
better a little long than rushed.

> If Glen shows up then he could help show off some of the software
> involved. PyMOL makes for some great demos, but I haven't used it for
> much since I'm no longer in that subfield.
JS: i certainly hope glen shows up: maybe he could
cook up a PyMOL newbie nugget.