[Baypiggies] New to python - neuron ring - help needed

Shannon -jj Behrens jjinux at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 10:43:17 CEST 2009

On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 5:41 AM, Aahz <aahz at pythoncraft.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 12, 2009, Gopinath R wrote:
>>
>> I am a newbie to python. i like to learn python strongly. which version is
>> recommended to start with 2.6 or 3.0.
>
> That depends largely on what you want to do.  If you need to use external
> libraries, many have not yet been ported to 3.1 -- so overall, I
> recommend 2.6 for production use.  (Note that I'm carefully referring to
> 3.1 because you do NOT want to use 3.0.)
>
> But in the end, it really doesn't matter which you *learn* -- the
> difference between 1.5.2 and 2.6 is in the end larger than the difference
> between 2.6 and 3.1, and 1.5.2 probably still has a larger userbase than
> 3.1.  It's easier to write a Python application that runs on both 1.5.2
> and 2.6 (largely by sticking with 1.5.2 idioms), but that's a distinction
> that makes little difference IMO.  The overall overlap between 2.6 and
> 3.1 makes learning both 2.6 and 3.1 easier.
>
> Python has strong forward and backward compatibility, and the basics of
> what you're learning for the first month or two apply almost equally to
> 2.6 and 3.1.

Very few people are using 3.1 yet because the libraries haven't made
the transition.  As Aahz said, it's not that big a deal.

I really like the book "Learning Python".  By the latest version, read
it cover-to-cover, do all the exercises, and you'll be an expert.

If you don't know how to program at all yet, I recommend "Python
Programming: An Introduction to Computer Science".

Best Regards,
-jj

--
In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things
with great love. -- Mother Teresa